US Child Custody Lawyers & Attorneys
US divorce attorneys handle all issues pertaining to family law and divorce. This includes custody evaluation, appeals, and modification. Circumstances change over time, and thus so should your custody agreement. You may be only allotted weekend visits with your child(ren) due to your financial or living situation at this time. However, after a few months, you may have a new stable job and a nicer place to call home. You may want to modify your custody agreement to reflect these life changes.
Child Custody Evaluation and Modification
Custody agreements are modified through a four step process. Courts will determine whether:
1) there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the issuance of the original order;
2) the modification is in the best interests of the child;
3) the child has integrated into the home of the non-custodial parent (with the consent of the other parent), or the child’s present environment endangers his or her physical or emotional well-being; and
4) the burden associated with the modification is outweighed by the benefit to the child.
In the end, any decision regarding the modification of child custody will come down to whether it is in the best interests of the child. In many cases, the child’s current arrangement is not in the child(ren)’s best interests. Children need both parents. If you are unhappy with the amount of time you have with your child(ren), whether you want more or less, we can help.
Filing a Custody Evaluation
You may file for a custody evaluation for a number of different reasons. Some of the reasons include:
- you want to spend more or less time with your child;
- you are aware there has been a change in circumstances that may be harmful to the child, such as your ex-spouse now living with an abusive boyfriend; or
- you have made several life changes since the custody agreement that will provide a positive environment for your child.
If increasing or decreasing time with your child(ren) is something that you want to consider, contact US custody lawyers. We can help you file a motion to the court and determine if this is the right decision. We offer an honest approach to family law and will guide you through the costs, concerns, and court procedures so that you know exactly what to expect. It is your decision what to do; US divorce lawyers is here to make it a little easier for you.